Saturday, October 12, 2013

Back in Lima…


I look outside of my window, still grey, still no sun. I take a deep breath and tell myself its ok. I open the window to get some fresh air, but the noise of the morning traffic fills the room and I close the window. I eat banana for breakfast and hurry out of the apartment, because I’m late from my Spanish class as usual. I walk down the stairs and unlock the door to get out of the gate. Traffic, noise and bad air hits me really hard and I burst into tears. I turn on my mp3 and try to close myself into another world, but it doesn’t work this morning. The contrast after being out in the nature for a week and now in Lima is too much for me to handle. Even if I have chosen a way to my school where I can cross one little park, streets that are smaller and nicer, still the whole way to my school tears are running down my cheeks. I greet my favorite security guy on the way and his familiar smile makes me feel little bit better. The security guy at the entrance of my school, smiles at me too and I wipe the tears before I enter my class. Many familiar faces greet me and some new ones too. During the class I get a message from Eva that there are no collegios today and Tuesday is a national holiday, so I should go to the office instead. I’m little bit disappointed because I thought seeing the children would make me feel better, but at least there is a holiday tomorrow. After the class it’s time to greet my Korean friends. I hug Lan (my very good Korean friend), chat briefly with Moi (Spanish teacher) drank coffee and run into a minibus to go to the office.
 
I take a minibus which is not full and I can choose a seat for myself, seat where I can fit my legs in. I turn the music louder and try to find a way to sit on seat, so that the piece of metal on the back of the seat is not hurting me that much. Few stops later a man enters the bus and sits next to me, even if there other seats available. I ignore him and simply stair out of the window and listen my music. I almost miss my stop, baja baja paradero! I shout when I realize where I am. Bus drives crazily (as usual) and I try to hold on tight while walking towards the door. Bus breaks so fast and hard that I almost fall on the floor. Bus drives off and a next challenge is to cross the street to the other side. Luckily lights turn red in the previous intersection and I can safely cross. I turn around from the next corner and see my favorite building at the end, Centro Español del Perú (or something like that). I start smiling when I see the familiar paintings on the wall. It’s beautiful (I’ll take a picture next time). I cross another street and turn around and stair at the building for a while. I love it! It makes me so happy every time I see it! A piece of art in this depressing surrounding and I can even see it from the toilet of our office. 

I rang the doorbell of La casa de Panchita and a smiling face comes out to open a gate for me. I feel better. I work the whole day at the office, preparing materials for the collegios, mainly math exercises. Not so many people at the office, I think many have taken a day off. I get my lunch take away from the vegetarian place nearby. I don’t like to eat in a restaurant when I’m alone, I prefer to eat at the office. I miss my lunch breaks with Adele. On the way to the lunch place I get comments from men rubia, rubia, linda etc. (which I didn’t hear in Cusco or elsewhere) also now I had forgotten my mp3, because mostly I don’t hear them in here either because I always listen my music. Around 5.30pm I start my journey back home. It’s almost a peak hour and traffic is a lot worse. Busses are full and journey takes forever. I’m really tired and half asleep. I wanted to go to Pilates, but when I finally enter my house, it’s too late and I’m tired anyways. I crawl into my bed, take my laptop and watch some Finnish TV-series. Tomorrow is holiday and I’ll go to yoga in the morning, I decide. I’m so tired that I fall asleep without my earplugs despite of the noise outside. Because the next day is holiday people go out and party, even if it’s Monday. Another day in Lima is over and I survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment