Friday, October 18, 2013

My first earthquake!


Last night I experienced my first earthquake. There’s been a one before in Lima but I didn’t feel it at all and it was during the day. However this time I felt it. Last night woke up around 2.30 am or so because my bed was shaking. I as pretty confused that what the hell is going on until I realize it must be earthquake. I didn’t know what to do??? I was listening if my roommates were getting up, but no one moved so I thought ok, maybe this is not a serious one. Also, I was not sure if there was another one coming. It hit me for the first time that there might be disadvantages sleeping naked, because I would need some time to put on my clothes, so just in case another would come I at least put on a top and underwear. Noticed that my laptop had moved on my little table too so I put it on the floor and I guess I should put it on the floor every night. In the end I was very tired and fell asleep again pretty fast. 

In the morning I asked my Spanish classmates if they felt it and some had. In case there would be another one and for sure there will be, I asked my Spanish teacher what I should do and when do I know it is a serious one? Apparently when it’s serious one you can’t even walk because it’s shaking so much and while it’s shaking you should not move out of the house just find a safe place, only after it’s over you should run out on the streets before the next one comes. And you should get far from the windows. Ou how nice I have my bed next to a window!!!But houses here are built for earthquakes…right…doesn’t really convince that much. She told us that they’re expecting a big one coming soon, pretty much at any time. She said that she always has a suitcase ready for evacuation if needed. Wondering if I should have one too? Maybe I should have a little bag with clothes, so that I can dress up on the streets if I need to run out naked. 

Yet, I hope I don’t need to experience the big one while I’m here!

No comments:

Post a Comment